The challenges humanity is facing aren’t the stuff of dystopia, science fiction, or textbooks. They’re happening today – and they’ve never been more complex and interconnected. Yet our higher education system is still structured in silos, leaving graduates ill-equipped to tackle the complexity that surrounds them. The next generation is now demanding to learn in a different way. That’s where The London Interdisciplinary School comes in.
LIS is a startup university that equips learners with an interdisciplinary toolkit to tackle the complex, real-world problems of the 21st century. With a world-class faculty, three exceptional founding cohorts and close partnerships with global organisations such as McKinsey, KPMG and innocent, LIS is building a new type of education for those who want to shape the world, not just fit in.
About the job
We’re looking for a brilliant, experienced, mission-led Product Manager to lead the development and delivery of a range of new professional and postgraduate programmes and help us build a new university designed for the modern world.
These new programmes include short courses, masters-level certificates and master’s degrees designed to empower people and organisations to tackle the biggest complex problems of our time (e.g. climate change, inequality, AI) and learn the methods that the jobs of the new economy require (e.g. data science, design thinking, leading cross-functional teams).
Your job will be to bring a product mindset to developing these new programmes working together with our world-class interdisciplinary faculty and experts in student experience, marketing and technology. The goal is to find product-market fit for our new programmes by identifying the content, delivery modes and kind of experiences that meet the needs of learners and partner organisations.
We are not building software in house but designing experiences that are supported by technology using modern, best-in-class low and no code tools.
The job reports to the Chief Product Officer.
What the job involves
🧐 Understand: Gather learner and market insights to identify the most impactful opportunities for professional and postgraduate learners. Conduct product discovery and run experiments to understand the needs of learners and organisations and their desired outcomes.
📝 Plan: Prioritise and facilitate product discovery and delivery activities with a cross functional team of experts: faculty, student experience, marketing and technology. Find feasible, desirable and viable solutions to meet the needs. Identify low/no-code solutions that will support an amazing learning experience.
🚀 Deliver: Ensure that the team are unblocked, have everything they need and can efficiently ship experiments and deliver programmes. Support the team to design high quality, innovative and impactful learning experiences that make the most of technology and generate revenue.
🎙Communicate: Align everyone around what is being done and why, share the team’s plans, progress and problems, plus new learnings with the rest of the university and (where appropriate) with our partners.
- You’re excited by the opportunity to build a brand-new university, passionate about shaking up higher education and ready for the challenges that a start-up in the sector entails
- You’ll have several years’ experience as a product manager or in a similar role leading cross-functional teams, ideally, within a start-up environment
- You are mission-led, passionate about solving problems and the amazing content and experiences that we are creating
- You are fluent and comfortable with data, interpreting what it means both in terms of the experience we’re delivering and the commercial implications
- You are a brilliant and empathetic communicator, able to win the respect of both academics and marketing professionals and help them understand what is important and why and lead change
- Ideally, you have experience of designing learning experiences and understand effective pedagogy, both online and in person
You love embracing new perspectives and live our values: be kind, be brave, be honest, keep learning and welcome otherness
- £45k-65k, depending on level of experience
- Flexible working, with 2-day per week on campus and the opportunity to work remotely (including in another country) for up to 1 month each calendar year
- The option to do the job on a 4-day a week basis, if desired
Company-sponsored health plan and monthly fitness contribution
- Annual personal development contribution for external training/coaching
- 30 days holiday. Take time out to be inspired
- The opportunity to join a mission-led, fast-growing organisation that is changing higher education
The successful candidate will have the right to work in the UK.