Our democracy is at the heart of the UK’s success, and the teams who work for the Parliamentary Digital Service are committed to providing world-class support to everyone who works in the two Houses of Parliament. As our Product Manager you’ll join the newly formed Product Directorate, a multi-disciplinary team responsible for the design, development and delivery of mostly bespoke products for UK Parliament.
Responsible for product strategy and delivery, you’ll collaborate with stakeholders and multi-disciplinary teams throughout the lifecycle of your products. We’ll expect you to balance organisation objectives, user needs and opportunities across operations, data and technology to deliver products that realise positive benefits.
In addition, you’ll also:
- lead the development of product strategies, working with stakeholders and multi-disciplinary teams to deliver solutions that meet user needs
- develop business cases capturing benefits for products that are informed by Parliament’s strategies, user needs, operational sustainability and risk management
- ensure multi-disciplinary teams and stakeholders are engaged in product outcomes and are aligned to those developed during the product’s lifecycle
- manage product roadmaps and backlogs that are effectively prioritised to help coordinate delivery teams
- support the collaboration of in-house and external teams, and consider routes for meeting user needs and achieving the best outcomes
- build awareness of opportunities, constraints and dependencies across data, technology, design and operations, and ensure changes in user expectations and behaviours feed into product strategies
- anticipate problems ahead of time and adapt your approach in response to constraints
work with colleagues to navigate and resolve any challenges, opportunities and blockers
- develop and embed product approaches and agile best practice, bringing colleagues along on the journey
- build an understanding of product management roles, approaches and practices, and play an active role in digital delivery communities within and outside of Parliament
What You Need
If you’re a recognised product expert with demonstrable evidence of a portfolio of working in product management, and possess the ability to realise the full potential of digital products throughout their lifecycle, then we want to hear from you.
You should also be ready to:
- keep abreast of industry best practice and successfully lead teams to continuously improve the product landscape in a sustainable way
- support multi-disciplinary teams as they learn, develop and embed operational efficiencies, and act as a point of escalation for complex issues and risks
- develop user-focused product strategies and gain buy-in from our organisation to implement these
understand the wider product landscape and how to define and realise related outcomes and benefits
- produce business cases, roadmaps and backlogs for product design and delivery, ensuring these realise our strategies, meet user needs, manage risk and embed sustainability
- engage with users to learn about what outcomes need to be, and help multi-disciplinary teams and stakeholders adapt and align over a series of iterations and lifecycle phases
- use your excellent communication skills to engage the team and stakeholders in relevant decision-making throughout the product lifecycle
- adapt to evidence and insights as they emerge to inform the products you plan, deliver and promote
demonstrate an advanced understanding of design, technology and data best practice
- integrate products with other services, and work with leaders of operational and specialist teams across digital, data, platforms and technology to ensure alignment and operational efficiency
- uphold the values of equality, diversity and inclusion
- work in collaboration with change management colleagues and have a solid understanding of how people go through change
- the ability to pass security clearance, backed by the right to work in the UK
About The Team
You’ll be working alongside a range of different disciplines including Developers, Testers, Delivery Managers, Designers, User Researchers, Business Analysts and Project Managers. You’ll be broadening your knowledge and experience with experts from a wide range of disciplines, and this will add to your ability to make a difference through the vitally important work you do.
UK Parliament is steeped in history and tradition. It is an important part of UK life and we need to ensure as many people as possible can engage with its work. This is why we are at the start of a huge transformation programme powered by technology. The Parliamentary Digital Service (PDS) works with the House of Commons and the House of Lords with all their IT and digital needs. We are here to realise the digital ambitions of a modern Parliament and welcome you to join us in building a digital democracy.
Please refer to our Candidate Information Pack for a full list of our benefits which include:
- up to 35 days annual leave in addition to bank holidays
- generous maternity pay policy up to 6 months full pay
- great pension scheme options (contributory and non-contributory)
- on-site subsidised gym, nursery, catering, post office, travel office and GP
- flexible options including hybrid working and family friendly policies
How To Apply
Please make sure you’re clear on the requirements of the role. These can be found in the Job Description and Candidate Information Pack. You will need to upload your CV to show the first five criterion. Our application process is anonymous, so please remove any personal information from it.
Apply By: 16th April 2023 at 23:55
Interviews: 27th & 28th April 2023
Format: Panel Interview (Remote)
For our people, we provide an amazing opportunity to bring their talents to an institution that sits right at the heart of society in the UK. We are helping to change UK Parliament and strengthen democracy. What matters here is your potential for growth and your commitment to playing your part in our ongoing success.
We are passionate about providing an environment which promotes inclusion, diversity and equality. Regardless of your age, gender, ethnicity, beliefs or any of the other things that make you, you. We welcome applications from people who feel under-represented in the workforce. This includes those who may feel disadvantaged because of their socioeconomic circumstances.