The Director, Product Development will lead a team of Product Management associates responsible for identifying, championing and building web products and experiences that meet consumer and business needs. The primary goal of this position is to lead, coach, inspire and develop a high-performing team of product leaders delivering effective and innovative solutions that transform the customer and associate experience and position CarMax as a best-in-class omni-channel company. He/she will partner with senior leaders in Strategy, Operations, User Experience and IT to manage and grow a cross-functional team that is progressive, efficient, agile and highly engaged.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Vision and Strategic Leadership
• Define the product portfolio vision for a select group of product teams
• Communicate a clear vision to senior executives and other stakeholders
• Work directly with key business partners and senior executives to ensure product plans align with company objectives/plans
• Set clear objectives and KPMs that drive the team to achieve strong results, meeting key result metrics.
• Establish and maintain the roadmap for the full product portfolio, and ensure prioritization of the highest value opportunities
• Maintain a deep understanding of consumer behaviors, the competitive landscape and technology trends to shape strategic decisions, plans and priorities
Product Management Oversight and Practices
• Direct and oversee all team activities within the assigned product portfolio
• Proactively identify interdependencies – and balance creating innovative products for our customers with scalable products for our stores
• Create close partnership with Strategy, Operations and IT to ensure that we are building products that meet critical business needs
• Make prioritization decisions and ensure team is always focused on the highest value opportunity
• Commit to excellence – and push the team toward high velocity and exceptional product development
• Monitor and Review OKR’s and/or KPI’S against performance goals. Work with AVP’s of product on setting achievement goals for the product teams. (KPI’s, OKR’s, Resources)
Team Leadership and Development
• Attract, recruit and retain a strong bench of skilled and engaged associates
• Coach associates to deliver on the overall team vision
• Create clear role expectations and leverage industry standards to move the practices forward
• Develop associates to reach their full potential – understand their goals and needs, partner in their development, provide advice, feedback, training and advocacy
• Manage resourcing for product roadmap that aligns with business needs and associate growth goals
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Passionate about web/technology
• Persuasive communicator – able to explain complex or intangible concepts to stakeholders at all levels
• Good listener – weighs input from multiple perspectives when forming opinions and recommendations
• Collaborative and team oriented work approach
• Experience gaining consensus among a large, diverse group of stakeholders
• Experience managing, training and mentoring others in Product Management and agile methodologies and best practices.
• Able to easily motivate and inspire team members, peers, stakeholders and executives
• Innovative; thinks beyond boundaries
• Analytical; solves problems at root cause and prioritizes effectively
• Continuous improvement mentality; never satisfied
• Comfortable speaking to large audiences and executives
• Flexible and open-minded; proactively seeks input from others
• Entrepreneurial drive and spirit; enjoys working in a fast-paced environment
• Handles constructive criticism with ease; adapts easily and efficiently to change
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
• BA/BS Degree required. Master’s Degree a plus.
• 7+ years of experience in consumer Product Management or related field. E-Commerce experience a plus.
• 3+ years experience managing direct reports
• Experience with lean/agile development processes