Motorway is seeking a talented User Researcher to join our expanding team. We are a design-focused organisation; extending to the founding team; with a very strong focus on creating amazing user experiences and high quality products. We have a creative and fun working environment where innovation is greatly encouraged.
Motorway is the UK’s fastest-growing used car marketplace – our award-winning, online-only platform connects private car sellers with thousands of verified dealers nationwide, ensuring everyone gets the best deal. Founded in 2017, our technology-led approach has redefined the experience of selling a car, generating thousands of monthly car sales and helping us to grow to a team of more than 400 people across our London and Brighton offices.
About the role
User-centred design is in our DNA. We know the best way to create compelling, easy to use products that consumers love is to truly understand our users needs, wants and desires. We are looking for a User Researcher to deliver the very best experiences for users of our seller and dealer platforms.
You’ll be a champion for how good research can enable the best business outcomes.
What you’ll be doing
- Meeting with stakeholders and customers, being accountable as their objective voice throughout the research process.
- Developing well-crafted research plans, writing user research screeners and discussion guides, leading and scheduling user recruitment.
- Capturing critical data using both qualitative & quantitative methods and translating user insights into actionable recommendations including summary reports for development teams and clients.
- Crafting personas and journey maps to communicate insights across the design and development teams.
- Leading user testing activities, using testing tools and equipment for in-person and remote sessions.
- Continually finding experiences that are digitally excluding (including blindness, mobility, speech and cognitive impairments) to drive change.
- Creating regular playbacks of insights to stakeholders.
- Growing our library of research knowledge to enable teams to ‘self-serve’ when appropriate.
There’s no such thing as a typical day at Motorway and you may find yourself working across several projects but don’t worry, you’ll have a team of enthusiastic and supportive colleagues around you to share and support your work!
You can expect to be driving activities such as:
- Conducting primary research such as interviews, observations, field studies, diary studies, participatory workshops, surveys and usability testing. Be prepared to hit the road and meet users in the field when required.
- Organising and designing remote and in person qualitative research; creating screeners, scripts.
- Working alongside your colleagues in Design, Product Management and Engineering & maintaining relationships with external research vendors, agencies and facilities.
- Writing snappy reports to share with the wider product organisation.
Our team comes from a diverse range of backgrounds and team fit is important to us. As an experienced User Researcher we expect that you will have several of the following attributes:
- Ideally you’ve studied a discipline such as Human-Computer interaction (HCI), Behavioural Science, Psychology or similar, and possess professional experience as a User Researcher which can be demonstrated through work examples.
- You champion user research – you’re a skilled listener and excellent communicator who’s able to make detailed observations and connect the dots to form a story.
- You are used to working collaboratively with a lean mindset; you will need to coordinate across multiple channels with numerous stakeholders.
- You’ve had experience with e-commerce in general and research around purchase decisions.
- You are organised and able to sift through data to synthesise findings.
- A competitive salary.
- Enhanced maternity/paternity leave.
- BUPA health insurance.
- Discounted dental through BUPA.
- Discounted gym membership through BUPA.
- Annual learning budget with Learnerbly.
- Pension scheme
- Motorway car leasing scheme – lease a zero-emissions electric vehicle at a significant discount.
- Hybrid working (approximately 2 days in the office a week) with the option to work from home for a month per year.
- Top spec MacBook Pro and peripherals.
- Regular social events.
- Discounted Calm membership.
- Cycle to work scheme.
- The chance to join a rapidly growing company that cares first and foremost about its people.
- The chance to work with an experienced and passionate team with a big vision.
- The opportunity to build products that have real impact and will change an industry.
Equal Opportunities Statement
Motorway is committed to equality of opportunity for all employees. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. We believe our workforce should reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.
We welcome applications from all individuals regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.