what3words is on a mission to ensure that everyone, everywhere, has a simple way to talk about location.
Our aim is to drive mass awareness and adoption of what3words amongst consumers, both directly and through our target business partners. We’re achieving this by building a suite of location products, from our geocoding APIs to our official maps and apps.
We are looking for someone to work with our engineering team to project manage the building and scaling our core products, in particular our API, SDK and map site.
We have made great progress in migrating our legacy systems to ensure we’re ready to scale with the business, but we’ve still got a long way to go. This role will be focused on supporting the technology team during this exciting journey.
Reporting to the Product Lead, this role will be instrumental in translating functional requirements into technical requirements that fit with our overall technology strategy. On a day-to-day basis, you’ll be responsible for managing the development team’s backlog, defining user stories, running sprint meetings and co-ordinating with the business to ensure on-time, on-budget and to-specification feature releases.
With a strong technical background and a proven track record of managing live technology products, you’ll be adept at consolidating the broad range of “to-dos” into agile development cycles. You’ll also be comfortable with ensuring sprints are planned to respond to both shorter-term opportunities and keep in line with the company’s overall strategic priorities.
Demonstrating exceptional interpersonal skills, you’ll be able to work with and influence people inside and outside of the development team. At all times, you’ll be responsible for communicating key business requirements, in particular delivery dates, to the engineering team.
- Excellent communication skills with perfect written and spoken English
- A strong technical, academic background
- Previous experience leading product development of an app
- Road mapping skills
- A passion for and understanding of agile software development
- The ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Previous Product Owner/Project Management experience
- PRINCE2/Certified SCRUM Master
- Competency using project management tools
- Experience managing UI performance
- SEO skills
- Managing or writing A/B or UAT test scripts
- Past software development experience
- You have an interest in maps and location based services, and you know what a GIS is.
The what3words team is a mix of experienced entrepreneurs, people who have worked at the highest levels in large global organisations, academics, and bright graduates – it’s a good balance, and it’s important for us that we get the right person who is happy working alongside people from these backgrounds. We have a relaxed and focused office in West London, with regular team socials, and we expect to add more benefits as we grow. We have a culture that encourages curiosity and imagination in how we achieve our goals, and an absolute focus on building a global business.
We hope in 5 years you will be proud to tell people you were one of the early joiners at what3words.