At Planning Center, we build powerful, beautiful applications specifically for churches to help them focus on their job — ministry. The customers of our flagship app, Planning Center Services, include 96 of the 100 largest churches in the country, as well as thousands of community and neighborhood churches.
Right now we have a rare opening for the product manager position to head up Planning Center Registrations (https://planning.center/registrations/).
Product management at Planning Center is a heavily collaborative role. You will interact with customers, developers, designers, support agents, and other product managers as you carry out your responsibilities:
- Prioritize, plan, and shepherd features to production
- Work on mockups with designers
- Work on technical solutions with developers
- Investigate bugs and test fixes
- Explain new features in pitches, documentation, and blog posts
- Interview customers to understand their pain points
- Lead, support, and foster your team’s development
Each product manager is in charge of making sure their application is shipping new features, improving existing ones, and growing. All product managers work closely with each other as well as Jeff, our founder and CEO. There are currently six product managers, you would be the seventh.
Product managers at Planning Center are:
- Humble. Product development is a team sport. We are quick to point to the contributions of other team members and we define our success collectively instead of individually.
- Passionate. We love solving problems and we enjoy working hard to deliver elegant solutions that delight our customers.
- People Smart. You need the ability to interact with a broad spectrum of people, in a way that’s assertive, empathetic, and motivating.
A little about us and our culture:
- Our employee retention is freakishly high. We love our people and they love working here.
- We have zero sales people. We’ve found that when you do good work and treat customers right, they’ll tell others about you. Nearly our entire customer base has come from word-of-mouth.
- Over half of our company is remote and the rest work locally in our beautiful office in Carlsbad, California.
- We’re fully bootstrapped and profitable. There are no investors or equity firms to answer to—we answer only to our customers, as we earn their subscription dollars every month.
- Our designers and developers are at the top of their game. We speak at conferences, are committed to open source, and take active steps to sharpen our skills.
- We take work-life balance seriously. We don’t work late and enjoy paid Fridays off in the summer. A few times a year, we take two “free weeks” where everyone works on whatever they want.
Lastly, we believe the strongest teams are made up of people with diverse backgrounds and experiences, and we are committed to cultivating that diversity here at Planning Center. We are ready for the ongoing work that goes into building an inclusive, supportive place for you to do your best work.
- You’re local to San Diego, California or are willing to relocate. (We’re in Carlsbad)
- You’ve led a team at a technology company; a team of developers and/or designers is a plus.
- You’re familiar with common tools of the web-software trade and can articulate the basics of the web stack.
- You’ve had experience with designing software solutions and aren’t afraid to dive into software mockups
We love our people and want this to be the best place for them to work. In addition to a competitive salary, we offer:
- Full health, dental, and vision coverage
- Company contribution to a 401(k)
- Mobile phone allowance
- Co-working stipend
- Charitable giving match
- Paid parental leave
- Vacation and paid holidays
- Paid Fridays off in the summer (June-August). Wait… did you read that?
- Continual education allowance for books, videos, or conferences
- Free weeks every several months to work on a project of your choosing