Cybersight is Orbis’s award-winning telemedicine platform. It is equal parts school, library and remote-medicine platform. Through Cybersight, Orbis can support eye health professionals in more than 100 countries around the world – far more than we could feasibly reach in person. It also allows us to work in difficult places we would not normally work for reasons of safety or conflict.
The Product Manager, Cybersight is responsible for tactical and operational oversight of Cybersight services, and the technology platforms that make them work. These include:
- A Learning Management System (LMS)
- A Wordpress Content Management System (CMS)
- A Liferay Portal hosting a complex web application
- A video platform for real-time conferencing, including live surgeries
This role uniquely combines the fields of technical product management, healthcare and international development.
REPORTING & WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
The Product Manager reports to the Director, Telehealth and works within a small team devoted to Cybersight’s operations and evolution.
More broadly, we work as part of Orbis’s Programs department, which is responsible for developing and delivering high-quality eye health programs in low- and middle-income countries, and delivering on Orbis’s mission to mentor, train and inspire local eye health teams to fight blindness in their own communities.
You will have regular contact with Orbis’s international staff around the world, along with academic and industry partners and vendors.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS / KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Create and evolve a product management plan for Cybersight’s key services
- Manage the technical platforms that support these services
- Work with global eye health professionals, Orbis staff and partners to develop and document requirements
- Facilitate the development of new features and integrations across our platforms, working with a number of external vendors who do our software development
- Oversee new releases and manage problems and incidents
- Conduct planned and ad-hoc reporting within and across our systems
- Develop innovative ways of doing our work better by investigating and employing new technologies, services or approaches
- Run pilot projects related to these new innovations to evaluate their effectiveness and acceptability within the environments we serve
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience in a technology field (software engineering, computer science, information management)
- At least 5 years’ experience working in a relevant, senior-level technology-management capacity
- Experience working in an international environment, and ideally in international development
- The ideal candidate with have some hands-on experience as a software developer, with experience in java, SQL and/or front-end development
- Experience with the Amazon Web Services (AWS) environment would likewise be ideal
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Ability to work independently, with little oversight; you are the manager of this portfolio.
- You are equal parts ‘technology’ and ‘business’; we are an international-development organization and not a technology shop – you may be very well be the most-technical person around
- You can manage operations – you know how to deal with a problem and figure out the best solution; you have enough experience and acumen to make late-night decisions that affect large groups of stakeholders and indeed the reputation of the organization
- You are analytical – always looking for a better or more efficient way to do things; but you also know when the analysis phase is over and it’s time to move forward
- You have the ability to travel internationally to up 10% of the time, including to and within developing countries