The world’s first customer platform helping internet businesses accelerate growth☝
Intercom builds a suite of messaging-first products that all modern internet businesses can use to accelerate growth across the customer lifecycle, from acquisition, to engagement, and support. Today more than 25,000 businesses, including New Relic, Sotheby’s, and Shopify, use Intercom to connect with a billion unique people worldwide.
Intercom is a deeply creative company with the confidence to believe it can fundamentally change the future of internet business. Our people are incredibly ambitious, yet humble. Warm, accepting, and positive. Whether you build, market, sell or support product, we want you to make your mark with us.
What’s the opportunity? ?
Intercom is one of the fastest growing technology companies of this generation by almost every measure. Despite our success to date we believe the best is yet to come. We’re still early in our life and have a long future ahead. We’re a product first company, with founders and senior leaders having a background in product and design.
We’re on a mission to make internet business personal. Prior to the internet all business was personal. But the standard today has stripped that away, forcing people to fill in forms, be referenced as a ticket number, being forced to use impersonal email. It doesn’t have to be this way. We’re building a Messenger first suite of products for sales, marketing and support teams to help people connect and talk to other people.
What will I be doing? ?
The Director of Product will partner with the Engineering Director to lead the fast growing Intercom London office. Together, you will be the founding leadership team of something that will grow much bigger; playing a pivotal role defining large parts of the future of Intercom.
Currently the London office owns big areas and things of very high strategic importance:
- Our Support and Retain products
- The Reporting product area
- A brand new product currently in development
You will help us build a world class Product team, spending your time helping others design, build and ship, not justifying what you do. There is lots more detail here on what makes Intercom a special place to work for Product people.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Drive the overall product strategy for our London based teams, and contribute to the overall Intercom product strategy.
- Manage our London based Product Management team (currently 4 people) and Product Design team (currently 4 people), helping them grow and do the best work of their career.
- Use what you’re learning from all around the company to evolve the Product practice in London, both in how we work, and the design of the org.
- Partner with the Engineering Director and lead R&D in the London office, ensuring the office lives our values, applies our principles, and helps us evolve both.
- Help Intercom London become established and broadly known as one of the very best Product teams around. Build on our common and encouraged practice of openly sharing with the community what we are learning on this incredible journey.
- Build an office and team where everyone feels like they belong, where people respect each other and cherish working together. Where people are challenged every day, and have a lot of fun along the way.
- Grow and scale a diverse, inclusive, high performing team. Know when and how to build teams for new challenges. Hire and retain world class people.
- Ensure Intercom in London always feels part of Intercom as a whole, with consistent values, principles, and ways of working, and yet develops its own local identity.
What skills do I need? ?
- Multiple years experience people managing Product/UX Designers.
- Multiple years experience people managing Product Managers.
- Proven track record of delivering successful internet/software products to market.
- Strong leadership experience and ability.
- Strong strategic thinker, proven track record of owning and driving product strategy.
- Strong executor, proven track record of shipping product fast to a high quality.
- Strong team builder, proven track record of building teams that love to work together who produce world class results.
- Strong people manager who cares deeply about those around them, proven track record of developing people, growing their careers and enabling them to do their best work.
- Believes in the same values we do:
- Being open, direct and transparent, talks about mistakes and turns them into lessons learned
- Confident yet humble
- Long term thinking
- Thinking big but starting small
- Optimistic and positive always even in the face of adversity
- Always looking for feedback to learn and grow
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written. Thoughtful, high empathy, high social intelligence. Can deliver all types of news and information to people who receive things differently and do so with great success.
- Someone who is proactive, organised, focused, and can ruthlessly prioritise.
We are a well-treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! 🙂
- Competitive salary and equity in a fast-growing start-up
- We serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner every weekday! There are also snacks and drinks on tap to keep you topped up
- Regular compensation reviews – we reward great work
- Peace of mind with life assurance, as well as comprehensive health and dental insurance for you and your dependents
- Open vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need it
- Paid maternity leave, as well as 6 weeks paternity leave for fathers, to let you spend valuable time with your loved ones
- Commuting is a breeze with our generous public transport allowance
- Keep active with our wellness programme that allows you to expense gym and other sports activities up to £90 quarterly
- If you’re cycling, we’ve got you covered on the Cycle-to-Work Scheme. With secure bike storage too
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
We are a diverse bunch of people and we want to continue to attract and retain a diverse range of people into our organisation. We’re committed to an inclusive and diverse Intercom! We do not discriminate based on gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, civil or family status, age, disability, or race.