Who we are:
We’re Ocado Technology. We architect and build the ground-breaking, game-changing technology solutions that power Ocado, the world’s largest online-only grocery retailer. We don’t do off-the-shelf. We don’t do easy. Because we’re writing, building and running all our own software systems, we’re constantly pushing the limits of what technology can do. And when we say ‘we’, we mean ‘you’. Join us and you’ll work across a phenomenal breadth of technology, with incredibly smart people, to create reliable, resilient, scalable and optimised software systems.
What you’ll do:
The main purpose of this role is to work as a member of the eCommerce OSP Product team to envision the future of the consumer-facing side of OSP. You’ll work with our business stakeholders, development teams, and clients to deliver upon this vision. The environment is one of Agile Development with a focused approach to the constant delivery of high-value software.
The Product Owner role is at the core of the Agile Development methodology. This includes defining and managing the product backlog, benefit analysis, minimum viable product, prioritisation, acceptance criteria and reviewing completed work. It requires a close working relationship with both internal customers and development teams.
You will have responsibility for:
- Developing the eCommerce product vision and strategy to drive our grocery platform forward
- Building strong relationships with business users and stakeholders
- Developing a deep understanding of the business uses and potential of our software products to enable you to act as a proxy for the business customers to effectively progress development solutions
- Facilitating the lean Agile Development process wherever required
- Product backlog management, including defining user stories and prioritisation
- Working with the stakeholders to prioritise stories to maximise business value created by the development teams for your product
- Maintaining the development teams focus on delivering value, balancing multiple streams of requirements so that they can concentrate on what they do best: creating a great product!
- Working with UX and development teams in discovery, estimation and review sessions
- Facilitating development ensuring the developers have the things they need to keep moving forwards
- Constantly be monitoring progress, looking for ways to improve the product and make adjustments based on strategic goals
What you’ll need:
- Demonstrable experience of working in a lean agile software development environment, ideally as a PO, but possibly as an agile coach or a similar role
- Analytical data-oriented problem solver
- Ability to quickly grasp a new business problem and lead cross-functional teams to collaboratively reach a solution
- Highly motivated by B2B2C platform development
- The proactive mindset with a desire to continuously improve the product, the environment, and your own skills and knowledge
- Strong business skills, ideally 4+ years of commercial experience
- An understanding and appreciation of software development and design, solid technical skillset
We’re interested in people who have:
- A strong track record in the retail, eCommerce or commercial software development sectors
- Strong technical skillset
- Previous experience in a Product Development role
- Track record delivering high-quality software that meets the business need in a timely fashion
- Experience of forecasting and tracking development work
- Experience in estimating the value of software features, and in cost-benefit analysis and constructing business cases
- Experience of managing a product backlog
What we can offer you:
Within our flexible work environment, we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include a generous pension scheme, interest-free season ticket loan, free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and, of course, healthy Ocado staff discounts (and free delivery) across our Webshops including Groceries, Fetch, Sizzle and Fabled.
We also have Friday socials on the first Friday of every month, sports clubs such as badminton, running and table tennis (and much more), not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado’s business, our vacancy close dates may be subject to change. Ocado is an equal opportunity employer.