Group Product Manager
We’re looking for an exceptional leader to join our Product team.
GoCardless is building a new global network for recurring bank-to-bank payments. We’re cutting out the intermediaries and linking together direct debit schemes from around the world to create a simple way of collecting payments directly from customers’ bank accounts. Our API powers recurring payments for companies like the Financial Times, Thomas Cook and Nutmeg. It also enables partners including Quickbooks, Xero and Sage to help tens of thousands of small businesses to save countless hours spent chasing customers for payments.
Product at GoCardless
This is a really exciting time to join our growing team! We’ve been building Product Management at GoCardless from the ground up, and have our sights firmly set on becoming a world-class product development organisation, led by our Chief Product & Technical Officer Carlos Gonzalez-Cadenas (ex-Skyscanner CPO).
Our Product team is focused on three areas:
- What we build: Figuring out what we need to build to have the greatest impact and prioritising when we build it is our core responsibility. We bring the vision and context to empower great decisions, so we focus on posing the right questions rather than dictating detailed solutions.
- How we build it: We believe in a collaborative partnership where the Product team focuses on outcomes, while Engineering, Design and Data focus on how we get there. Product’s main role in execution is to be the voice of the market and to make sure we achieve what we set out to do.
- Communicating with everyone: Product is a key part of the glue that binds together teams at GoCardless. We communicate the “who, what, why and when” to the company. We also work closely with Marketing, Sales and Operations on how best to communicate what’s happening to our customers.
Our Product Development organisation has been growing rapidly and we currently have 14 cross-functional teams. As our first Group Product Manager you’ll work closely with our Director of Product and will be accountable for the impact of 3-5 of these teams, line managing the Product Managers of these teams and working closely with Engineering, Design, Data and Security to deliver the best results.
We believe in autonomous teams, so you should expect a challenging and highly cross-functional role with tasks spanning the commercial and technical spectrum. You’ll be working with the Product Managers of the teams to ensure we are:
- Building a deep understanding of customers’ needs
- Developing a vision for the direction of the product and how we can have the greatest impact
- Driving delivery, tracking progress and assessing our impact
- Defining our competitive positioning and keeping on top of broader industry development
- Leading communication with the rest of the business and working with product marketing to document our capabilities
You’ll be responsible for the career development of the Product Managers in your teams, and Group PMs are expected to play a leading role in shaping our product management and broader Product Development organisations.
What we’re looking for
We always look for people who have incredible raw talent and potential. We believe great Product Managers share common characteristics, and we look for these above all else:
- Raw intellectual horsepower: We want our product managers to have an outstanding ability to think on their feet and tackle intellectually challenging problems.
- Curiosity & drive: You should relish challenges and have a strong natural instinct to drive things to completion. We’re looking for the ability and curiosity to adapt to a constantly changing environment.
- Collaborative leaders: Product roles bring responsibility without direct authority. We’re looking for natural leaders who earn the trust of others with a collaborative style and great communication skills.
- Effortlessly analytical: At GoCardless we start by asking ‘why?’, and a data-driven approach is central to how we run Product. When you’re presented with data, analysis should be a reflex.
We expect Group Product Managers to have proven that they have an exceptional ability to deliver great products. Candidates should have a track record of success as a product leader responsible for multiple teams and for the career development of Product Managers.
Bonus points for:
- Experience in a fast-growing scaleup environment
- Experience in fintech/payments
- Experience with API-based products
Our team come from a range of backgrounds, and we welcome diversity. If you’re unsure, please apply – we’d love to hear from you.