Wirecutter, the product review and buying guide arm of The New York Times Company, is seeking an experienced and passionate product manager to lead the core web experience team. In this role you will work closely with a motivated and experienced team on redefining the core experience, improving engagement and retention with breakthrough user experiences.
Founded five years ago by journalists fed up with the time and energy it takes to shop, Wirecutter developed a simpler approach to giving buying advice: Just tell people exactly what to get in one single guide. The company’s purpose: to help people find great things, quickly and easily. Through rigorous testing, research, reporting, and whatever means necessary, we create straightforward recommendations that save readers unnecessary stress, time, and effort. We then monetize these guides by enabling our readers to easily purchase the products they are interested in.
Wirecutter was recently acquired by, and is now a subsidiary of, The New York Times Company. As part of the acquisition, The Times is investing in Wirecutter to accelerate its business through editorial category expansion, development of more robust product features, and unlocking of new revenue streams.
- Sit at the intersection of commerce and content to create robust features with a team of designers, engineers and marketing partners
- Lead the ideation, technical development, and launch of innovative editorial and commerce products across desktop and mobile web.
- Lead the strategy, execution and analysis of A/B and user tests to drive conversion and inform overall product strategy
- Establish shared vision across the company by building consensus on priorities leading to product execution
- Focusing on key metrics such as click through rate, sessions per user, and earnings per click, you will help drive Wirecutter’s overall business to new levels.
- Partner with cross-functional team to understand, rationalize and prioritize requests for new features in the product roadmap
- Work closely with design and engineering to drive innovation, productivity and quality while iterating on the product until project goals and growth targets are met
- Be constantly collecting data, analyzing, and reporting on key metrics
- Work with a wide variety of stakeholders ranging from editorial staff to business development to gather requirements and find opportunities
- Be accountable for the correct functioning of the Wirecutter website and its maintenance, troubleshoot issues and report them as necessary
- Minimum of 3 years consumer product management experience in a role focused on editorial or ecommerce products
- Minimum of 2 years experience in running AB testing strategy and analysis
- Ability to understand complex user flows and interactions
- Self-motivated, extremely detail oriented with excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Understanding and experience in implementing SEO best practices
- Creative problem solver – able to identify real obstacles and viable solutions
- Outcome-oriented – not reactionary; can articulate the desired outcome and work collaboratively to create a path to achieve it
- Strong analytics background and data driven, demonstrating the ability to understand key performance drivers and ability to execute against findings
- Strong technical architectural understanding of web products like Wirecutter
- Must have experience working with design and engineering teams to deliver end to end products
- Enthusiasm for Wirecutter’s mission and our innovation and growth
Culture and benefits at The New York Times Company and Wirecutter:
Though Wirecutter has physical locations in both NYC and LA, the company promotes and encourages a remote workforce, so that our employees can work in flexible and comfortable ways.
We are committed to career development, supported by a formal mentoring program as well as tuition reimbursement. The New York Times Company offers frequent panel discussions and talks by industry leaders (Sheryl Sandberg, Melinda Gates and Ta-Nehisi Coates are a few recent examples), that we encourage our employees to attend.
We believe diversity fuels innovation and creativity, and we have a variety of employee groups and task forces across The New York Times Company and Wirecutter dedicated to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace.
We offer a generous parental leave policy, which was recently expanded in response to employee feedback. Birth mothers receive 16 weeks fully paid, adoptive parents and birth fathers receive 10 weeks also fully paid. Similarly, we offer competitive health and dental insurance, as well as 401k matching.
If you are an active employee at The New York Times or any affiliates, please do not apply here. Go to the Career Worklet on your Workday home page and View “Find Internal Jobs”. Thank you!
The New York Times Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual’s sex, age, race, color, creed, national origin, alienage, religion, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation or affectional preference, gender identity and expression, disability, genetic trait or predisposition, carrier status, citizenship, veteran or military status and other personal characteristics protected by law. All applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to legally protected characteristics.