This position is responsible for product management of our Wi-Fi thermostat portfolio, including the award-winning Sensi. The product manager drives the vision, strategy, design and execution of the Wi-Fi thermostat portfolio to achieve the sales and profit plan. They are the expert in the user, the jobs that they are trying to accomplish, and the problems they face.
The Product Manager works with the Thermostat Product Team to build a growing network of happy, referenceable customers for our solutions in the residential and light commercial markets.
- Vision, strategy and portfolio management
- Owns product vision for Wi-Fi thermostats (where we are we going)
- Owns product strategy for Wi-Fi thermostats (how we get there)
- Owns product roadmap for Wi-Fi thermostats
- Owns the product portfolio and life-cycle management for Wi-Fi thermostats
- Team leadership, goal establishment and measurement of progress
- Develop deep knowledge of the business, understanding current business goals and stakeholders
- Ensure product team can connect the product to its customers. This includes monitoring customer feedback.
- Ensure product team can connect their work to business objective and outcomes
- Develop and maintain product OKRs (objectives and key results) aligned with business objectives
- Define product KPIs (key performance indicators) that lead product OKRs
- Help to build internal innovation capabilities and champion a culture creativity and innovative thinking
- Leads product discovery and experimentation (answers question “should we build it?”)
- Develop deep insights about the customer
- Build deep knowledge of the data that enables us to understand behavior, measure progress, prove if ideas work and inform decisions
- Identifies riskiest assumptions and key questions we must get answered
- Develop and run experiments to get answers to key questions and address riskiest assumptions
- Product requirements and prioritization of development work
- Ensure new product or feature development is aligned with business strategy and goals
- Responsible for customer, product and feature requirements
- Assess and size the market opportunity as well as our right to win
- Develop business cases that articulate our strategy for new products and product enhancements working with cross-functional team to refine product concept, evaluate its feasibility and communicate to key stakeholders.
- Prioritizes the work (new customer features, UX improvements, bugs, maintenance and cost optimization)
- Make balanced judgments when faced with costs, timing, and resource tradeoffs.
- Consulted in technical decisions. Understands what is being built and the tradeoffs.
- Ongoing sustaining activities around product modifications and customer issues
- Project management
- Manage new product development
- Responsible for project management / timelines / reporting
- Responsible for the business case / financials / capital approval
- Unblocks the blockers (includes resources and communication)
- Pricing and customer acquisition support
- Sets strategic pricing (for new product, competitive response and new business opportunities)
- Responsible for product training
- Represents product in engagements with OEMs, integrators and third parties and can speak to technical specifications
- Influence sales strategy
- Influence marketing strategy (messaging, collateral needs, etc.)
- Deep knowledge of the industry
- Understand relevant market and category trends to include disruptive technologies and legislative, agency and regulatory impacts.
- Monitor competitive activity, and assess competitive strategies, strengths, weaknesses and opportunities.
- Conduct market and customer research as needed
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or Business. An MBA is a strong plus.
- 3+ years’ experience in product management
- Guided, led, and coached a cross functional/disciplinary team to develop and ship a new product
- Experience in product discovery, designing experiments to test hypothesis
- Innovative, data-driven problem solver
- Ability to travel (~10%) to lead or support customer research activities
- 5+ years of increasing levels of product responsibility in consumer facing businesses, technology start-ups or modern product companies.
- Has shipped multiple products
- Experience working between technology stacks that include hardware, firmware, cloud APIs and mobile app
- Experience working with User Experience and User Research teams to run customer discovery and usability sessions
- Knowledge of HVAC applications
- Customer Focus: Builds strong customer relationships and delivers customer-centric solutions. Knows the customer is the boss. Empathetic…has ability to walk in the customers’ shoes, understanding how they work and the problems they face.
- Drives results: Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances. Take results and challenges personally. Knows how businesses work and how we make money. Holds self and others accountable to meet commitments.
- Collaborates: Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives. Does things for the better of the team, creates psychological safety. Always acts and thinks “team first”.
- Business insight: Has a strong bottom line orientation. Applying knowledge of business and the marketplace to advance the organization’s goals. Looks through lens “If I owned the company….” Drives decisions from truth and data, not opinions or intuition. Understands the difference between opinions, hunches, and objective facts.
- Drives vision and purpose: Paints a compelling picture of the vision and strategy that motivates others to action. Has fire in the belly. Inspires others by being uplifting, enthusiastic and optimistic. Uses compelling arguments to gain the support and commitment of others.
No calls or agencies please. Emerson will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States. This is not a position for which sponsorship will be provided. Individuals with temporary visas such as E, F-1, H-1, H-2, L, B, J, or TN or who need sponsorship for work authorization now or in the future, are not eligible for hire.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Emerson is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, national origin, age, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status. We are committed to providing a workplace free of any discrimination or harassment.
If you have a disability and are having difficulty accessing or using this website to apply for a position, you can request help by calling 1-314-553-2544 (V/TTY/TDD) or by sending an email firstname.lastname@example.org. About Emerson
Imagine being surrounded by intelligent, driven, and passionate innovators all working toward the same goal—to create groundbreaking solutions that leave our world in a better place than we found it. Emerson is a global technology and engineering company providing innovative solutions for customers in industrial, commercial, and residential markets.
Our Emerson Automation Solutions business helps process, hybrid, and discrete manufacturers maximize production, protect personnel and the environment while optimizing their energy and operating costs. Our Emerson Commercial and Residential Solutions business helps ensure human comfort and health, protect food quality and safety, advance energy efficiency, and create sustainable infrastructure.
A dynamic environment is what you’ll discover at Emerson, a Fortune 500 company with $14.5 billion in sales and 155 manufacturing locations worldwide. Together, we’re changing the world, and we have all the resources to help you achieve your professional goals.
Whether you’re an established professional looking for a career change, an undergraduate student exploring options, or recently received your MBA degree, you’ll find a variety of opportunities at Emerson. Join our team and start your journey today.
Residential Solutions is a part of White-Rodgers, a business unit of Emerson Commercial & Residential Solutions, which is headquartered in St. Louis, MO and is an industry leader in home energy management and comfort control. Our products monitor and control appliances that account for approximately 60% of the energy consumed in the average US household. By networking our products to the cloud, we are discovering new ways to help our customers reduce energy consumption, save money, and maintain comfort. And because our technology touches so much of the residential energy profile, our solutions are positioned to make a significant impact on our nation’s carbon footprint. If you want to be part of a collaborative, high energy, fast paced team, where your contributions can make a real impact on the world – you have just found the place!