Merchandising is the heart of a retail business. There are millions of products in the world, but which ones should we carry in our stores? How should we design our shelves to show our customers the broadest assortment, but not run out of inventory? Where do we have costs built into the product lifecycle and can leverage technology to remove eliminate waste? What is the best price for an item, which drives trust and value for customers, but also delivers returns for shareholders? These are some of the problems we are solving in the Digital Merchant Product organization.
Our digital product teams have been tasked with re-inventing the merchant. Like all product roles, we are obsessed with our customers, end users, and problems we are solving. We take crazy hard challenges, work closely with our end users to design testable prototypes, and ultimately deliver great technology that enables merchants to make stronger, data-informed decisions, and automate or heavily simplify processes necessary to take action. We partner closely with teams across the organization to deliver on our ambitious solutions, most notably, our industry leading data scientists and engineers at Walmart Labs. If you are ready to change the world, this role is for you!
You will sweep us off your feet if:
- You understand merchandising needs and objectives and apply critical thinking to derive user insights and define ways of working and related product capability requirements
- You can build business cases (vision, objectives, expected results and value) for product capabilities and influences the product owner to prioritize and deliver these capabilities
- You can communicate the product strategy to the merchandising organization and advocate for the value of product capabilities with organizational leadership
- You can lead the development of product prototypes (when needed) and use prototypes to gain merchant user and leadership buy-in, as well as ensure product effectiveness, etc.
- You can develop and executes a “customer success” strategy to ensure product adoption, understanding and efficient resolution of issues
- You can develop and manage to a project plan to ensure that product capabilities are delivered on-time
- You can lead without direct authority when needed (for example, leading a product area with multiple product managers) and seeks out ways to motivate and mentor other on the technology and product teams
- You can provide direction and leadership to a cross-functional team that includes technology development, design, architecture and other product teams to ensure accurate and on-time delivery of product capabilities
You will make an impact by:
- Operating as a champion for the product through product training, leadership presentations, etc.
- Engaging with merchandising stakeholders, conduct process analysis and design sessions, understand overarching product objectives, etc. in order to develop a clear and relevant product capability backlog
- Partnering with the user experience (UX) design team to ensure product features/ capabilities are designed in way that maximizes efficiency and encourages customer adoption and ongoing use
- Consistently pushing all stakeholders to ensure solutions are innovative, creative and aligned to the objectives for the product/ business
- Partnering effectively with the rest of the product team to ensure overall product objectives are achieved
- Collaborating with technology counterpart to influence and determine optimal technology/ design decisions based on business objectives
Joining Walmart means making an impact on your community, innovating for a better future and creating a career you’ll be proud of.
Join our family: apply now
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed in the role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. The full job description can be made available as part of the hiring process