Fenix International is seeking a highly motivated and entrepreneurial Software Product Manager to drive innovation, design, and development of our proprietary web application and backend database systems. The role will report to the Senior Software Product Manager and will work cross-functionally with our customer service, operations, sales, marketing, and software engineering teams to gather client needs, help define product development strategy, and implement software engineering deliverables.
- Be a conduit of communication between our technical and non-technical teams; help our business teams to understand the process, timeframes and complexities of data projects, help our data team better understand the needs of the business and our customers.
- Liaise with external partners and be a strong advocate for data at Fenix.
- Determine core KPIs and develop monitoring frameworks to frame the goals and to monitor the success of data initiatives.
- Communicate the vision for data products and the voice of the customer to the data team, promote engagement and excitement for Fenix products.
- Write user stories, design specs and work closely with the data team to iterate and inform data driven business decisions/actions. You should be willing to get your hands dirty with testing, monitoring, querying, or whatever it takes to ensure the products are built, and built right.
- Manage ad-hoc report and analysis requests.
- Work with the data lead to design and automate an experiments framework and manage the cataloguing of all data experiments.
- Be first line of support and internal consultant for all data related queries, issues and feature requests.
- Ensure comprehension and competence of the team with new tools; take feedback critically and iterate for an exceptional user experience.
- Prioritise ruthlessly, don’t be afraid of saying no, champion progress over perfection.
Required Skills & Experience
- 3+ years of experience developing and launching software or data products.
- Leadership and project management experience (Agile software development practices and issue tracking experience).
- Two year minimum commitment to live and work in East Africa.
- Experience designing experiments and strong familiarity with SQL and noSQL database queries and design.
- Strong communication skills to translate needs between technical and non-technical teams
- Practical experience with big data products.
- Willingness to be flexible and do whichever task is needed to get the right product shipped.
- Ability to maintain big-picture vision while being detail-oriented.
- Outstanding written and verbal communications skills (English, French a plus!).
- Willingness to relocate to Kampala, Uganda (or Paris, France).
- Education and/or work experience in East Africa
- Experience manipulating and drawing conclusions from data; using python, R, Stata, or SAS
- Exposure to machine learning methods and best practices for implementation
- Masters degree or higher in any data relevant field
- Experience with financial data, credit scoring, IoT, and/or GIS data analysis
- Competitive salary and benefits package, including:
- Health insurance & evacuation cover
- Awesome off-sites rafting, climbing, kayaking
- The opportunity to travel throughout East Africa and visit our customers in the field
- A fun and friendly work environment with ping-pong, table football and delicious lunch cooked every day by our in-house chefs, Carol & Lilian
This role will be based in our beautiful Kampala office, with occasional travel to our other African offices.
Fenix offers a competitive salary and a fun work environment. We recognise the value of diversity in our workforce, and encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We thank all candidates who choose to apply, however, only those selected for a further interview will be contacted.