Senior Technical Product Manager
at Cruise Automation
We’re the driverless car company. We believe in improving people’s lives by making transportation safer, more accessible, and more convenient. We’re building the world’s most advanced software to fuel the driverless cars that safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about.
We seek and embrace diversity in all of its forms. We continuously push ourselves to think differently and take ownership wherever it’s needed. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed. If you share our passion for achieving what some say is impossible, join us.
About the role:
As a Senior Technical Product Manager, you’ll help align your team around a vision, turn that vision into priorities and documentation, and then execute. You’ll sit with our Infrastructure Engineering teams, and empower them to provide world class services for our company.
We’re currently hiring people to work with the following teams:
Data Infrastructure accelerates our development efforts by leveraging our immense collection of data. We’re building the platform to ingest and process many petabytes of data, warehouse it, and provide tooling and services for the company to gain insights from it. Experience with microservice-based architectures, relational databases, and data processing tools like Hadoop or Spark is crucial for this role. Bonus points if you have experience with AWS or on-premises server infrastructure, and machine learning infrastructure.
Data Science models the relationships between the performance of our fleet and the engineering and capital resources that generate it. We use these models to increase Cruise’s safety and efficiency, from software development to the curbside. Experience with supervised and unsupervised ML model training, model deployment, and business impact analysis is crucial for this role. Bonus points if you have experience with collaborative data science tools, class-imbalanced datasets, statistical estimation and A/B testing, and shipping production ML models.
Engineering Productivity creates a world-class engineering environment at Cruise, by building and deploying services which improve productivity, process, and culture. We’re building systems to run thousands of complex simulation tests of AV behavior at scale, and defining the build, release, and update process for a safety critical system that requires rapid iteration. Experience working on internal-facing tools and infrastructure is crucial for this role. Bonus points if you have experience with Docker, Kubernetes, AWS, and similar services.
Ground Truth is the one-stop service for on-demand knowledge needs that enable training, testing, and validation. We take raw data and classify, combine, and transform it into machine-understandable knowledge, by leveraging a hybrid of human and machine intelligence on top of workflow and pipeline infrastructure. Experience with data/task management and machine learning is crucial for this role. Bonus points if you have experience in UX / UI design.
Mapping provides navigational knowledge of the world to our AV via our HD maps. We turn high definition LiDAR, camera, and location data into 2D and 3D maps, then augment the maps with semantic annotations to create a machine-readable representation of the world. The generated maps power AV localization, perception, and planning intelligence, and also serve a variety of other teams. Experience with mapping or other geospatial products is crucial for this role. Bonus points if you’ve worked on tools for operationally heavy workflows or machine learning applications.
Product Engineering is building the components necessary to pilot and launch our ridesharing service. We are looking for a Technical PM to work with our existing PMs, and support the infra/backend related requirements. This includes everything from data validation processes to live telemetry data handling, and more. Experience with modern programming languages and APIs is crucial for this role.
- Help set the vision for your product area, to align your team and others around a strategy and the picture of success
- Prioritize and phase products, including defining clear success criteria and aligning stakeholders
- Develop and maintain product documentation, including product requirements, acceptance criteria, and a process for ongoing and rapid iteration
- Have technical discussions with engineers regarding approaches, requirements, and more
- Collaborate with other stakeholders, such as product integrity, legal, and cybersecurity
- Identify detailed implementation requirements, while understanding how a project relates to larger, company-wide goals to ensure we build the right products
- Rapidly prioritize and re-prioritize, so efforts are always focused around the most impactful work
- 5+ years relevant work experience in tech-related fields
- Strong grasp of engineering concepts to capture deeply technical requirements, and ability to translate them for non-technical audiences
- Strong communication, presentation, and client management skills across a diverse group of stakeholders
- Proven track record of managing all aspects of a successful software product throughout its lifecycle
- Relentless focus on understanding, prioritizing, and solving customer needs
- Ability to remain flexible and thrive in ambiguity
- Ability to use quantitative and qualitative feedback to form insights that drive actions
- Bachelor’s or higher in relevant field
- Work experience as both a software engineer and product manager
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Computer Engineering, or similar
- Solve difficult problems that have immediate and valuable real-world applications
- Competitive salary and benefits including matched 401k, medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and 10 paid company holidays
- State of the art equipment for your work station
- Lunch, snacks, and dinner
- Free rides in self-driving cars!
GM Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, GM Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.