STEM CREW Product Manager
An exciting opportunity to lead the dynamic, nationwide growth of the 1851 Trust’s unique digital teaching resources platform and community: STEM CREW.
We are seeking to recruit the new role of Product Manager to lead the development of the Trust’s digital education programmes for teachers and young people. You will join the small, motivated team based in Portsmouth and be responsible for delivering significant growth in the nationwide engagement of teachers using our sailing-inspired resources to engage their pupils in Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths (“STEM” subjects) on the Trust’s STEM CREW platform. Working alongside professional sports team, INEOS TEAM UK, the British challenger for sailing’s America’s Cup, at their state-of-the-art Base, we have ambitious targets to achieve within 3 years to bring alive the excitement and innovation of the team to thousands of teachers and their students.
What it means to work for the 1851 Trust
The 1851 Trust is an ambitious, innovative education charity focused on inspiring young people from a wide demographic about the range of opportunities available to them through science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM subjects). We also offer young people the opportunity to experience sailing and stay involved in the sport, and to learn about their environment and act sustainably. Working alongside INEOS TEAM UK, the British America’s Cup sailing team led by Sir Ben Ainslie, the 1851 Trust is based at its state-of-the-art base in Portsmouth and has unrivalled access to the cutting-edge technology and people behind this professional sports team.
We have created exciting STEM education programmes that harness the power of sport and sustainability and highlight the real-life STEM challenges of the Team. Our programmes and resources have been adopted by over 1,500 teachers across the UK and are being delivered to thousands of young people each year.
The 36th America’s Cup will be held in Auckland in Spring 2021 and aligned to the ambitions of INEOS TEAM UK to win the Cup, the Trust also has ambitious 3-year plans. You will be responsible for growing the community of teachers across the UK and internationally using STEM CREW to achieve our 3-year goals.
We are a small team. Accordingly, we are seeking an enthusiastic individual with a ‘can do’ attitude to tackling tasks and a willingness to go the extra mile. In return, we offer you an exciting environment in which to work, excellent chances to exceed expectations, and the support of a team committed to delivering outstanding educational opportunities for young people.
Job Title: STEM CREW Product Manager
Reporting to: Chief Executive
Hours of Work: Full-time
Office location: INEOS TEAM UK Base in Portsmouth, with travel to London and Nationwide
Start date: ASAP
Salary: Up to £35k pa based on experience, with 25 days holiday plus bank holidays
You will be responsible for meeting targets for teacher, school and young person recruitment, retention and engagement, including:
1. Develop and deliver a 3-year development and marketing plan to meet targets for the recruitment, retention and engagement of teachers to the STEM CREW education platform.
2. Lead and manage the digital presence of STEM CREW across all channels in liaison with the Trust team.
3. Design and deliver low cost engagement campaigns and activities to create a step change in STEM CREW reach and engagement levels, for example, through email, education media and social media.
4. Identify audiences, influencers and amplifiers, develop approaches and cultivate relationships to support engagement campaign delivery and strategy development.
5. Create and implement a customer experience journey for users to maximise utilisation and conversion, and to encourage peer-to-peer advocacy
6. Plan, create and deliver, with the support of the Education Manager, new educational competitions and resources, based on identified needs and demands.
7. Design, create and maintain optimised website content and functionality.
8. Provide regular insights and analysis on STEM CREW resources and platform utilisation and recommendations for future development, including understanding how the platform is used by teachers in schools and by young people and compare feedback from the 1851 Trust’s other activities.
Working with colleagues, you will also:
9. Develop and deliver a plan to support new audiences, such as young people and their parents, to access the digital resources.
10. Contribute to the development and delivery of an engaging digital, social media and communications plan to promote STEM CREW alongside the Trust’s other education and sailing programmes.
Desired skills and experience
• Educated to degree level (or equivalent experience), ideally within a relevant discipline such as digital product development, marketing or communications.
• Proven track record of delivering successful digital resources and platforms.
• Demonstrable experience of successful digital engagement campaigns against set targets
• Knowledge of CMS, PPC and Google Analytics.
• Strong understanding of SEO, social media and email marketing trends and strategies.
• Experience of working within digital marketing and/or sales particularly lead conversion
• Working knowledge of GDPR regulations and impact on working processes
• Experience of working within, or interest in, education, sailing and sport
• Excellent communication skills
• Self-motivated and tenacious with ability to work autonomously as well as a strong team player
• Practical and straightforward ‘can do’ approach to working
Please note: The successful applicant will be subject to an enhanced DBS check in line with our Child Protection Policies.