|Competitive, dependent on level of experience
|Full-time (37.5 hours/week)
|Marketing & Development Director
|Pharos offices, Ealing Broadway, London W5 (The post holder may be required to work at other locations, at the discretion of their line manager.)
Pharos Architectural Controls provides advanced lighting control solutions for architecture, themed entertainment and other specialist industries. Our award-winning products are installed across the world, running day and night in international landmarks, theme parks, shopping malls, stadiums, art installations, museums and airports.
Pharos sells through a variety of channels, including sales to lighting fixture manufacturers, who package our control products with their fixtures, and one very successful OEM sales relationship. Annual sales volume is currently £5million, of which about 90% is export, and our target is to sustain 20% sales growth year-on-year.
Founded in 2004, all Pharos equipment is designed, engineered and manufactured in the United Kingdom, allowing for complete control over the quality of each and every item. Our controllers have been used to illuminate landmark projects including The Shard and London Eye in London, Versailles Gardens in Paris, the Bosphorus Bridges in Istanbul, Madison Square Gardens and the Rockefeller Centre in New York, and in iconic theme parks around the globe. Pharos continues to innovate and brings new products to the market every year to maintain its position as an industry-leader.
Pharos is part of the Carallon group of companies, an independently-owned product development house specialising in innovative control systems. Its design team is the best of its kind – a group of highly motivated individuals committed to the creation and ongoing development of industry-leading products. Within that team is a wealth of experience in the field of advanced control solutions, with principal members responsible for ground-breaking entertainment lighting control consoles, architectural lighting systems and video processing technology.
The Product Manager is the key link between our development team and all other parts of the company. They coordinate all aspects of the product life-cycle and liaise with our marketing team to ensure the benefits and capabilities of all our products are well understood and properly conveyed to our customers.
The Product Manager is a key participant in evaluating market opportunities and product development planning. Once an opportunity has been identified they will manage the process of analysing requirements and developing detailed specifications, then work closely with the development team throughout the development project.
For any new product release they will coordinate preparation of all necessary marketing material as part of a managed roll-out process. This includes content on the website, datasheets, brochures, help documentation and application notes. Going forward they will ensure that this material is updated as required to ensure accuracy and relevance.
The Product Manager is also responsible for ensuring the efficient flow of product information between sales, marketing, technical support and development – so that outward-facing teams have the right information at the right time, and that feedback from customers is captured and used effectively.
The Product Manager works as part of a team, and will try to ensure that skills across the team are used to best advantage. They will have a technical background and be able to communicate technical information effectively and understand the detailed requirements of our customers. Strong communication skills, a good understanding of the architectural lighting industry and lighting control products, and the ability to manage multiple tasks concurrently are all essential to success in the role.
- Ensure customer feedback is captured and used effectively
- Carry out market research and evaluate potential market opportunities as input to brand strategy and product development planning
- Prepare business cases to inform product development planning
- Work with the directors to develop and continually review the product roadmap
- Take the lead on analysing requirements for new products and software, and ensure detailed specifications are developed based on the agreed requirements
- Monitor the progress of new product development and manage the flow of information to other teams
- Coordinate the release of new products and software in accordance with the Pharos product rollout plan
- Act as a product evangelist, particularly for new products, and provide internal and external training
- Ensure the necessary marketing material is prepared to support new product launches and ensure the accuracy of all product-related marketing material, including website, datasheets, etc.
- Manage preparation of technical documentation such as help documentation and application notes
- Track ongoing technical support activity and special projects to ensure any issues or requirements are escalated in a timely manner
- Act as the key communications link between the development team and all other parts of the company
- 2-5 years’ experience of working in a product management or customer-facing technical role, ideally within the lighting industry
- An engineering or technical background
- Strong written and verbal technical communication skills
- Ability to understand the differing needs of customers in a wide variety of market segments and regions
- A valid passport and a willingness to travel when necessary
- Excellent time management, including the ability to prioritise conflicting tasks appropriately
- Significant knowledge of, and an interest in, the architectural or entertainment lighting industry
- Experience of working at a senior level within a team, and to have demonstrated leadership qualities
- Experience of using Pharos products
- Experience with technical writing for product documentation
- Experience of product marketing
- Leadership skills and a willingness to be challenged within a fast-growing business