You are highly organized and great at coordinating people towards a shared goal. In group exercises, you’re the first to step up and get teams organized. You are obsessive about efficiency, can deal with ambiguity, and have a unique ability to bring strategy to life. You love to help people to do their best work, and can’t stand to see a missed opportunity due to poor communication or subpar process. You have experience managing creative teams and developing processes that improved efficiencies and consistently delivered high-quality outcomes. You approach problems with an entrepreneurial attitude, making sure creative solutions also meet business needs. Ultimately you’re driven by applying innovative solutions to complex organizational problems that allow people to do more, together.
At Underbelly, we’re a multidisciplinary team specializing in user experience, interface design, branding, video, and illustration. We solve complex problems for some of the world’s leading companies, in addition to helping small businesses get new products and brands off the ground. We’re passionate, cooperative, thoughtful, respectful, and always push ourselves and our craft. We care about people and making their lives better through design.
As Director of Creative Operations, you’ll fill in essential gaps where we’re stretched too thin. You’ll lead a team to develop and manage client and internal operations, from high-profile projects to day-to-day tasks that keep Underbelly running.
You’ll also have an opportunity to augment our HR and IT functions (we’re an agile agency, so those department leads are outsourced), helping us maintain a strong company culture and making sure contractors and vendors are fully supported.
With you on board, our CEO can focus 100% on business strategy, growing our service offering, and refining our brand.
You’ll play a key role in implementing operational strategy, managing operating budgets, and ensuring the business continues to perform at its peak. You’ll monitor company metrics, lead the monthly reporting meeting, and work with team leads to develop relevant metrics and communicate progress. The success of this role will be measured by a handful of efficiency and quality related Key Performance Indicators, including Revenue per Full Time Equivalent, and other expense and efficiency metrics. You’ll help ensure we remain profitable as our company grows. You’ll add value to the organization by keeping the team aware of accurate, relevant metrics and by coming up with innovative ways to hit our goals.
You’ll work closely with our design, development, content, and project management teams to improve and develop creative workflows and processes so people can do their best work. The creative process can be difficult to manage—let alone measure—but you’ll bring insights and support to team leads by finding better ways to calculate task time, monitor throughput, manage scope, and deal with unexpected challenges. When necessary, you’ll add support through evaluating and introducing new technology or tools (or, occasionally, by reducing them).
All that said, believe it or not, we like to keep a pretty fun, laid-back atmosphere. We’re looking for someone who is not only great at operations, but a good fit for our close-knit team.
What you’ll do
- Use technology to improve our creative process and output
- Lead the operations team by establishing team goals, performance reviews, and hiring and managing a lean staff
- Manage day-to-day operations
- Build and refine recruiting infrastructure
- Monitor and educate the team on KPIs and help them understand how their work impacts those metrics
- Lead implementation of Quarterly and Yearly operational strategy
- Develop and maintain a solid foundation for efficient project flow and process, from initial request, to scoping, to resource planning and allocation
- Develop an infrastructure for utilizing distributed team members
- Manage monthly reporting meetings
- Distribute and distill quarterly employee satisfaction surveys
- Supervise functional leads including IT & HR
- 7+ years experience managing people
- Strong experience leading operations at a growing organization, ideally in an agency environment
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
- Extensive experience working with creatives throughout the creative process
- An organized, methodical approach to understanding complex processes and business needs
- Demonstrated experience in developing and refining business models
- Confidence speaking and leading conversation in large groups
- Clear, concise, and articulate communication skills
- A self-motivated desire to constantly learn and improve your craft
- A collaborative, humble nature
- Location: work in downtown Salt Lake City, minutes from the beautiful outdoors
- People: a passionate and talented team of collaborators who are serious about their work (but don’t take themselves too seriously)
- Workstation gear: a standing desk, Aeron chair, new Mac & 4K display
- Conference stipend: we pay up to $1,500 a year for whatever conference you would like to attend
- Venture: this is a unique opportunity to pitch and work on your own product idea for at least 3 months (ask us about this)
- Hack days: we like to invest in our team – learn something new, write an article, explore techniques, play with new tools and tech
- Enjoy yourself: a fun culture, frequent off-sites, company retreats, foosball, and plenty of free food, coffee, nitro cold brew, and beer (not required)
- Money (competitive salary + quarterly profit sharing)
- Health, dental, and vision benefits
- 20+ days paid time off each year
- Paid holidays
- Life Insurance
- Relocation support