Who we are
Kessel Run is an Air Force software development organization that continuously delivers war-winning software that our Airmen love. We are striving to be a “software company” within the Air Force that can sense and respond to conflict in any domain, anytime, anywhere.
We value continuous learning, continuous user feedback, continuous integration, continuous delivery, continuous security & continuous testing. We combine lean principles, user-centered design and eXtreme Programming (XP) using a flat management, balanced team approach to ensure we are always building the most valuable thing possible, the simplest way possible, and as fast as possible.
We are offering the opportunity to work in a modern work environment, to use cutting-edge technologies and modern processes, all while making a meaningful impact every single day. Come help us solve our nation’s toughest, most complex challenges while enjoying yourself at work every day.
Product Designers ensure we are building products that meet user needs. Sometimes referred to as an “Empathizer in Chief”, Product Designers act as the main conduit to the warfighter. Kessel Run designers cover a wide variety of skills to be successful including user research, experience and interaction design, as well as visual design. By practicing User Centered Design (UCD), designers act as an intelligent filter for user feedback and ensure that their teams tackle the highest value. As a part of a Balanced Team with Product Managers and Engineers, designers work collaboratively with their teammates to determine design priorities, refine a backlog and roadmap, and validate the technical complexity of their designs.
What you will do
- Lead design on your product team across the entire product lifecycle (everything from discovering and defining the problem to iterating on a product in production)
- Define the vision for the user experience and involve teammates in the design process
- Advocate for user value and balance that with business value, portfolio value, and technical complexity
- Work with your team to define product vision, strategy, roadmap, and backlog
- Seek user feedback constantly while balancing when you can build in risk
- Seek collaboration with my product manager and understanding the balance of when to include them and when to move it forward
- Seek collaboration with my engineers and understanding the balance of when to include them and when to move it forward
- Lead research synthesis to drive actions for the team
- Actively engage with other designers, sharing practices and looking for ways to raise the overall skillset bar of the Kessel Run design team
- Lead user research trips working with warfighters all around the world
Who you are
- You love doing user-centered design (UCD), not user-driven design (UDD)
- You have some experience in all product design capabilities: user research, interaction design, experience design, and visual design (“full-stack” designer)
- You like being in a multi-disciplinary role, i.e., an intelligent filter to figure out the why behind a user need
- You love working collaboratively with product managers and engineers within a balanced team
- You have experience with facilitating efficient meetings and ensure the expected outcome is met
- You are able to break down complex problems into small measurable parts, design iteratively, and prioritize your own design work alongside the priorities in a team’s backlog and roadmap
- You have excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to adapt communication style to the audience
- You are a U.S. Citizen and have the ability to obtain a U.S. Security Clearance