Motorway is the UK’s fastest-growing used car marketplace – our online-only platform connects private car sellers with thousands of verified dealers nationwide, ensuring everyone gets the best deal.
Founded in 2017, our award winning, technology-led approach has redefined the experience of selling a car, generating thousands of monthly car sales and helping us to grow to a team of over 250 across 4 locations.
Motorway is now valued at over $1 billion and is backed by some of the world’s leading technology investors, having raised £143 million in Series C funding.
This is a unique opportunity to join a fast-growing scale-up at a crucial phase of growth and help change an industry for the better.
About the role
Motorway is seeking an experienced Product Design Manager to support our talented and growing team of Product Designers.
We’re very proud of our culture here at Motorway and know how important it is to nurture a collaborative and creative environment for the good of the business. You will be key in supporting this cause with a passion for helping and developing others. You will work closely with our very experienced Head of Design in building our design practice to world-class levels, attracting and retaining the very best talent.
Some of the things you’ll be doing are:
- Managing a team of 6+ Designers, supporting their day-to-day needs and helping them develop their careers and skills through regular goal setting, reviews and coaching.
- Working with the Head of Design on developing existing and new processes to increase the effectiveness of the team, such as onboarding new members, evolving our progression framework and running team retros.
- Balancing workloads and ensuring we have the right skills across the team to deliver effective results.
- Helping hire world-class Product Designers, refining our selection and interview processes along the way.
- Helping foster our design culture by contributing to our weekly team rituals, running workshops, planning design-focused events and other activities.
- Exploring and encouraging continuous learning and development for the team.
- Playing an active role in developing our core design principles.
- Establishing strong relationships with product, engineering and the wider organisation, communicating clearly with stakeholders and representing product design at all levels.
Our team comes from a diverse range of backgrounds and team fit is important to us. As our first Product Design Manager we expect that you will be passionate about building, developing and motivating teams and will have several of the following attributes:
- You’ve had plenty of experience managing design teams in a scale-up environment.
- You’ve been a hands-on Designer in your time and understand the needs and requirements of what makes a successful product.
- You love running a workshop to pull together new ideas and you are mindful of encouraging all participants.
- You’ve led online and offline sessions with stakeholders to validate design decisions.
- You know what it takes to make a positive impact in a fast-moving environment.
Design at Motorway is baked into our DNA, it’s how we win. You’ll be part of a diverse and experienced team where collaboration is a way of life as we push for innovation and excellence. We’re a friendly bunch with weekly team meetings to share ideas, learn new things and support each other.
And as well as that you’ll also get:
- A competitive salary
- BUPA private health insurance
- Annual learning budget with Learnerbly
- Enhanced Maternity/Paternity leave
- Flexible working (approximately 1-2 days in the office a week)
- The option to work remote for a full month each year
- Pension Scheme
- Discounted Calm membership
- Cycle to work scheme
- A fun working environment with regular social events
- The chance to join a rapidly growing company that cares first and foremost about its people
- Fast career progression and the ability to develop your own skills and experience quickly
Equal Opportunities Statement
Motorway is committed to equality of opportunity for all employees. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. We believe our workforce should reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.
We welcome applications from all individuals regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.
To apply for this job please visit apply.workable.com.