Motorway is the UK’s fastest-growing used car marketplace – our online-only platform connects private car sellers with thousands of verified dealers nationwide, ensuring everyone gets the best deal.
Founded in 2017, our award winning, technology-led approach has redefined the experience of selling a car, generating thousands of monthly car sales and helping us to grow to a team of over 250 across 4 locations.
Motorway is now valued at over $1 billion and is backed by some of the world’s leading technology investors, having raised £143 million in Series C funding.
Our product-driven, user-first approach and leadership has resulted in an environment where design is highly valued. This is a unique opportunity to join a fast-growing scale-up at a crucial phase of growth, build amazing products and help change an industry for the better.
About the role
Motorway is seeking a talented Product Designer to join our expanding team. Day-to-day you will be part of a cross-functional squad working alongside a Product Manager and Engineers, responsible for designing best-in-class experiences for car dealers on our award-winning dealer platform (pro.motorway.co.uk). You’ll also join our amazing Design & Research Team and supported by our Head of Design and other Product Designers, User Researchers, UX Writers and Brand Designers.
Motorway is a design-focused organisation; extending to the founding team; with a very strong focus on creating amazing user experiences and high quality products. We have a creative and fun working environment where innovation is greatly encouraged. You can read more about the team and how we work here.
The role involves:
- Problem solving: this is the heart of what the role is about. You’ll work with your product peers using design thinking methodologies, breaking down problems, identifying opportunities, sketching user journeys maps and more.
- UX and UI design: creating designs for products and features, from lo-fidelity sketches and wireframes through to polished interactive prototypes and demos. We primarily use Figma, FigJam and Miro (and always on the lookout for new tools that could help us).
- Developing our design system: developing and iterating UI components in our design system, including icons, controls, fonts and colours. Our design system – The Highway Code – encompasses libraries for web and native apps as well as themes for different products. It’s always evolving and we would like you to be an active contributor.
- Collaboration and reviewing: you’ll collaborate closely with stakeholders, users, Product Managers and Engineers to present your work and gain feedback. You’ll also actively participate in reviewing other Designers’ work, giving you the opportunity to develop feedback and coaching experience.
- Developing our design culture: you’ll share inspiration, techniques and design thinking to help the team stay fresh and knowledgeable in all aspects of design. You’ll also champion design throughout the business, helping non-Designers understand and value good design.
- Commercial experience in a product design or UX design role, demonstrated by a strong portfolio which should include case studies of successfully launched products.
- Strong understanding of designing for native mobile platforms, understanding which design patterns to deploy for the best user outcome.
- An ability to solve real problems through design, demonstrated by examples of projects or features that have had a measurable impact on the business or organisation.
- An exceptional eye for detail and a precise, accurate approach to creating design work.
- Experience with design tools such as Sketch, Figma or Adobe CC, and collaboration tools like Slack and Miro.
- Knowledge or experience of user research techniques such as evaluative research or focus groups.
- A great team player who is comfortable collaborating with different areas of the business, such as commercial, marketing, research and development teams.
- Strong verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
- A competitive salary.
- Enhanced maternity/paternity leave.
- BUPA health insurance.
- £350 annual learning budget with access to General Assembly courses, an Audible subscription and hundreds of books and online lessons.
- Pension scheme.
- Motorway Car Leasing Scheme
- Hybrid working (approximately 2-3 days in the office a week) with the option to work from home for a month per year.
- Regular social events.
- Discounted Calm membership.
- Cycle to work scheme.
- The chance to join a rapidly growing company that cares first and foremost about its people.
- The chance to work with an experienced and passionate team with a big vision.
- The opportunity to build products that have real impact and will change an industry.
Equal Opportunities Statement:
Motorway is committed to equality of opportunity for all employees. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. We believe our workforce should reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.
We welcome applications from all individuals regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.
To apply for this job please visit apply.workable.com.