Murmuration is a nonprofit organization focused on leveraging civic engagement to drive greater equity. We are committed to transforming public education so that every child – regardless of who they are or where they live – can benefit from the same opportunities afforded by a quality education.
We provide sophisticated tools, data, strategic guidance, and programmatic support to help our partner organizations increase civic engagement and marshal support to drive change at the community level. Our best-in-class data and easy-to-use tools have been used by hundreds of organizations to make informed decisions about who they need to reach and how to achieve and sustain impact – and to put those decisions into action.
Our team includes experts and innovators in data, analytics, and strategy. We are former teachers, organizers, data scientists, and campaign veterans, and we are looking for people whose passion and expertise can help realize our vision.
You are a curious, engaged Product Manager who takes initiative and values empathy, problem-solving, and impact.
You’re excited about creating a more equitable future and making it easier for people to get engaged in their communities. You have the skills to translate your excitement into product velocity and a positive, empowering company culture.
You’re a leader – eager to motivate a collaborative, cross-disciplinary team to build powerful, delightful products. You default toward action and ownership, and you’re comfortable making and communicating tough judgment calls in the context of incomplete information.
About the Role
As a Product Manager leading key components of Murmuration’s SaaS platform, you’ll work with a talented team to build user flows related to core platform experiences – things like CRM/data management, campaign management, or P2P outreach through a variety of channels. You’ll discover what users value most and help translate those learnings into production. Ultimately, you will help lead the development of the most effective and intuitive platform for advocacy and political organizing.
You’ll join our team of Product Managers developing a suite of mobile and web applications – all focused on helping our partners increase civic engagement for a more equitable future. Through your work, you’ll directly contribute to the strengthening of local communities and have a measurable impact improving equity.
Note: At Murmuration, we are committed to becoming an even more diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace. To this end, all staff members are expected to actively participate in DEI (diversity, equity, inclusion) programming.
What You’ll Do
- Lead cross-functional technical teams to develop and deploy an engaging, empowering, intuitive platform. Demonstrate sound judgment in tactical and strategic prioritization: when to say “no,” when to double-down, and when to try something new.
- Work closely with users and key partners to deeply understand their pain points and priorities, creating a rapid innovation process to synthesize user input and Murmuration’s vision into features, functional requirements, and a living backlog.
- Lead product discovery and research efforts for core application architecture and experiences, integrating partner priorities, usage metrics, external/market research, and experience-driven intuition to identify opportunities and drivers of value.
- Build strong relationships with internal teams like Engineering, Design, Support, Programs, Research, and Data, identifying the need for and leading discussions around new ideas, priorities, metrics, and goals.
- Develop and maintain a product roadmap and backlog that maximizes value to users while hitting key milestones, making the hard decisions about prioritization and 80-20 tradeoffs.
- Rigorously develop a perspective, then champion that viewpoint across the organization. Communicate updates, learnings, risks, opportunities, and decision points to align senior leadership and stakeholders on ongoing work. Provide effective written and verbal updates on the product roadmap and key projects.
- Collaborate with the Data Science team to leverage Murmuration’s “Civic Graph” data in new features and insights: granular individual-level characteristics, model scores, and polling data.
What You Should Have
Talented product managers come in all shapes and sizes. If you’re passionate about civic engagement and technology, please apply, even if you don’t check every box.
- 1+ years’ experience as a Product Manager or founder, ideally on a B2B SaaS or data-centric product.
- Experience working directly with users to deeply understand their problems and translate them into product requirements. You’ve learned to ask the right questions of the right people at the right time in the development cycle.
- A bias for action and an entrepreneurial, proactive mindset: the ability to thrive working in fast-paced climates (e.g., startup or similar).
- Data-competence: conceptual familiarity with data architecture and the ability to get hands-on with databases and data analysis (e.g., SQL/NoSQL).
- Strong judgment and analytical skills, including the ability to understand business requirements, integrate qualitative and quantitative metrics, and reconcile short-term needs with long-term strategic goals.
What You Might Have
- Experience leading cross-functional teams developing technical/backend/data architecture, like APIs or ETL pipelines
- Experience working with campaigns, advocacy organizations/nonprofits, and/or existing products in the civic tech ecosystem
- Hands-on experience with user centered design (wireframing, storyboarding, user flow development)
- Experience in profile-based systems (like CRMs), especially related to audience segmentation and analysis
- Experience selecting metrics and frameworks to translate user behavior into actionable insights and roadmap decisions
Location, Compensation, and Benefits
The Product Manager is a full-time, salaried position with a comprehensive benefits package. It is based anywhere in the U.S. The salary range for this position is $95,000 – $125,000 and is commensurate with experience.
An Equal-Opportunity Employer with a Commitment to Diversity
Murmuration is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and as an organization committed to diversity and the perspective of all voices, we consider applicants equally of race, gender, color, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, disability, political affiliation, and national origin. We reasonably accommodate staff members and/or applicants with disabilities, provided they are otherwise able to perform the essential functions of the job.