Murmuration is a nonprofit organization focused on leveraging civic engagement to drive greater equity. We are committed to transforming public education so that every child – regardless of who they are or where they live – can benefit from the same opportunities afforded by a quality education.
We provide sophisticated tools, data, strategic guidance, and programmatic support to help our partner organizations increase civic engagement and marshal support to drive change at the community level. Our best-in-class data and easy-to-use tools have been used by hundreds of organizations to make informed decisions about who they need to reach and how to achieve and sustain impact – and to put those decisions into action.
Our team includes experts and innovators in data, analytics, and strategy. We are former teachers, organizers, data scientists, and campaign veterans, and we are looking for people whose passion and expertise can help realize our vision.
About the Role
This is a full-time position reporting to our Manager of UX Design and joining a close-knit group of Product Designers.
As a Product Designer, you will play a pivotal role in determining the look, feel, and user experience for one of our products within a growing product portfolio including enterprise software tools and mobile apps. You’ll dive into the weeds wherever needed within your product Pod to help keep the team moving. Based on the business and product context, constraints, and requirements, you’ll focus on designing what drives the most impact: innovating where it drives a key outcome and building from prior learnings to avoid reinventing the wheel.
What You’ll Do:
- Effectively and empathically collaborate with cross-functional teams of researchers, product managers, engineers, marketers, and data scientists
- Employ user-centered design methodologies to thoroughly understand customer goals and pain points
- Design early-stage product ideas, learn from experiments, iterate quickly to propose new hypotheses, and deliver actionable insights to your team
- Deliver end-to-end feature design work, including user journeys and flows, wireframes, mockups, and prototypes
- Regularly present designs to stakeholders for feedback and to the company at large
- Work with our design team to apply best practices, learn cutting edge techniques, and coordinate on a rich product ecosystem
What you should have:
- Passion for civic engagement, campaigns, and equity
- Excellent product design fundamentals, including visual design, UI design, interaction design, and information architecture
- Demonstrable real-world design expertise for complex SaaS products on teams using Agile software development methodologies
- Comfort strategizing at a high level then breaking down and targeting the tactical pieces to realize the vision in a phased approach
- Ability to use and contribute to our design component library to drive consistency and reusability throughout our suite of products
- Understanding of accessibility and responsive/adaptive design to accommodate different form factors
- A bias for action and the ability to thrive working in fast-paced climates (e.g., start-up or similar)
- A strong commitment to data-driven decision making: welcoming both qualitative and quantitative data on the impact of our products to enrich the iterative design process
- Proficiency with industry-standard design and collaboration tools such as Figma, Adobe Creative Suite, Jira, and Miro (or equivalent)
- A portfolio that showcases how you designed real world solutions and the role you played in bringing them to life (online is preferred)
What you could have:
- Experience with CRMs, political or advocacy campaigns, and/or civic organizing products
- Experience with analytics tools such as Pendo, Mixpanel, Fullstory, Google Analytics, or similar
- Design expertise in data visualization
- Visual identity branding experience
- Training in behavioral science (RCTs, interventions, etc.)
Location, Compensation, and Benefits
The Product Designer is a full-time, salaried position with a comprehensive benefits package. It is based anywhere in the U.S. The salary range for this position is $100,000 – $125,000 and is commensurate with experience.
An Equal-Opportunity Employer with a Commitment to Diversity
Murmuration is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and as an organization committed to diversity and the perspective of all voices, we consider applicants equally of race, gender, color, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, disability, political affiliation, and national origin. We reasonably accommodate staff members and/or applicants with disabilities, provided they are otherwise able to perform the essential functions of the job.