Full-Time Product Manager, Mobile Conversion & Growth
The New York Times is respected for its visionary, high-quality journalism, and for its reach and influence. Now, in the digital age, we are transforming the nation’s “newspaper of record” into a subscriber-first, user-centered media company. Our aspiration is to reinvent the subscriber experience and build something with the same level of excellence as our journalism. Join The New York Times as Product Manager, Conversion and be part of this journey.
The Growth mission unlocks the full revenue potential of our subscription business by building experiences and developing capabilities that grow and engage qualified audiences, convert engaged readers into new subscribers, and satisfy and retain our existing customers. Subscribers are our most engaged and valuable users and a key focus of the company’s strategy for growth. Through our team’s efforts we will continue to aggressively increase our base of subscribers.
As the Product Manager focusing on our path to subscription, you’ll leverage growth tactics to drive product awareness and grow conversion rates. You will work closely with peers in design, technology, data, and audience insights to set priorities and ensure a smart, ambitious product vision.
If you love using data in a test-and-learn environment to drive high-impact projects and have a growth hacker mindset, this role is for you. Go deep into the data and emerge with highly articulated hypotheses worth pursuing and testing.
- Develop deep knowledge about our product, our business rules, and the attitudes of our most qualified nonsubscribers. We expect you to wield those insights to appreciably increase our conversion rates.
- Work collaboratively with the broader Subscription Growth mission to set conversion rate targets and track progress against our quarterly goals.
- Devise new approaches within the core experience to help more of our users discover and purchase our subscription products.
- Articulate, prioritize and lead the path to subscription product strategy and roadmap based on user insights, optimization opportunities, and input from key stakeholders.
- Monitor and analyze key performance metrics – obsessed with tracking user behavior at each step of the funnel – and use this data to identify high-impact opportunities to improve conversion rates across all platforms (desktop, mobile and apps).
- Identify and document product requirements for features and functionality, and lead the product development lifecycle along with design and engineering.
- Develop clear, actionable, testable hypotheses for quantitative and qualitative validation.
- Be the product evangelist for subscription conversion. You will meet regularly with invested partners, communicate your team’s priorities and roadmap, solicit feedback and build consensus for key initiatives. You will be the face of all product communication with senior leadership as well as championing the vision to the other teams within the company.
- Minimum of 3 years of product management experience
- Demonstrated product development skills, including writing technical specifications and performing opportunity assessments.
- Curious and open-minded, able to take in a lot of input from stakeholders, and ultimately commit to a decision.
- Have a consistent record of successfully working with both engineers and designers, and communicating effectively both horizontally and vertically
- Experience with, and a real passion for, user-centered design
- Excellent analytical skills with strong user empathy and awareness driven by qualitative research methods
- Able to synthesize user data and customer research into actionable product insights
- Passion for the Times’s mission and a commitment to be a part of our innovation and growth
- Strong technical literacy with an excellent grasp of the engineering challenges and core technologies that drive a media business
- Strong written and communication skills including the ability to communicate between technical and non-technical people
- Extensive experience with agile software development methodology and experience crafting wireframes and mockups to help guide product discovery and development
Benefits and Perks:
- Make an impact by supporting our original, independent and deeply reported journalism.
- We provide competitive health, dental, vision and life insurance for employees and their families
- We support responsible retirement planning with a generous 401(k) company match.
- We offer a competitive parental leave.
- We are committed to career development and ongoing learning, and provide employees $8,000 annually for tuition reimbursement.
- We have frequent panel discussions and talks by a wide variety of newsmakers and industry leaders.
- Join a community committed to the richness of diversity, experiences and talents in the world we cover, supported by a variety of employee resource groups.